Saturday, April 09, 2005

The colored Doors

Did you ever do that exercise where you close your eyes and someone talks you through a walk through an imaginary hallway? You're suppose to get into a meditational state while contempating the hallway. Though I suppose you could try doing it while reading a computer screen. ;-)

As you walk through this hallway, you come to a door.

The first door is red, what do you do?

Then you continue walking through the hallway and come to a green door, what do you do?

Then you continue walking through the hallway and come to a blue door, what do you do?

Then you continue walking through the hallway and come to a yellow door, what do you do?

Then you continue walking through the hallway and come to a black door, what do you do?

You can probably guess what the black door means. If you're curious, I'll tell you what each of them mean.

Anyway, I did this exercise back when I was in college, long before I had a clue that I would be working in death.

As I went through each door, I opened them and looked inside and described what I saw. But when I got to the black door (not knowing consciously that it symbolized death), I smelled it, ran my hands over it, put my ear up against it to listen, but I wouldn't go inside. This definitely seems to be a foreshadowing of the work I have been doing.

What would you do if you came across a black door?

No comments: