Thursday, April 21, 2005

The Best Day of Your Life

When did you have the best day of your life?

Mine is happening today.

I was still tired when my alarm woke me up. I played around on the internet for awhile before dragging my dog off to the laundromat to acccompany me as I did the laundry (No, I'm not being sarcastic about this being the best day of my life).

On my way back in, I checked the mail and found a sympathy card from my mother. Enclosed in the envelope was a photo of my grandmother's dancing trophies (of which she had many). When we went through my grandmdother's belongings I'd been quite torn about her trophies. What should we do with them? I certainly didn't have room for them, but they were a part of her, sitting on a shelf in each of her successive homes. When I got home after the memoriaal, I'd regretted that I hadn't taken a photo of the trophies as a reminder of them. The thoughtfulness (and luck) that my mom both had this photo and sent it to me warmed my heart immensely.

But this is still not why today has been the best day of my life.

Today is the best day of my life.

But tomorrow it won't be. I will then say the same thing - Today is the best day of my life. But then it won't be today, it will be tomorrow.

Are you catching on?

All I have is today. We've all heard the saying - Yesterday is gone and tomorrow is yet to come. But have we really heard it? Death, as always, reminds me of how fortunate I am to have today. And I don't wish or want for anything more.

No comments: