Sunday, November 14, 2004

Death-Related Job Opportunities

There are a lot of people who work with death. I've been trying to assemble a list in my mind of who all is involved in the end of life. Who is this village of people who is caring for the deceased and grieving?

Last night at work, it was like serendipity. I didn't really have time to stop and chat because there was a lot of chaos on the floor, but for some reason, she stopped me in my tracks. She was a volunteer on our floor. Having been a volunteer myself and having been a volunteer coordinator, I know both how valuable volunteers are and how important it is to show appreciation for the work that they do. So despite how busy I was, I stopped to chat. Within a minute, she told me that she works as an autopsy tech at our hospital. Whistles and bells went off in my head. Autopsy tech? What is that? Here is a profession I hadn't even heard of. How have I been left in the dark on this one? Maybe there are others I haven't thought of.

Here are some blogs and/or websites that I've found that describe some death-related professions:

Funeral Directors

Hospital chaplains

Transporters

Hospice Owners

Hospice team

Medical Examiner/Coroner

EMT's

Oncologists

Anyone else I missed?

No comments: