Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Breaking My Anonymity

Ever since I started this blog, I have been writing under the pseudonym "Mia Adams." My reasoning for this was based on my own personal experience of coming across one of my health care providers on-line and my fears that she would somehow reference me (even indirectly) in her posts. Not wanting to create that same fear in my patients, I decided to use a pseudonym.

As part of that, I opened up a separate email account for this blog. However, as you may have noticed, I have not been posting as frequently as I once was. And as a result, I have also not been checking that email account very often either.

Unfortunately, I am technically unable to change my email address for this blog (as both addresses are gmail accounts which conflict with the google-based applications for blogger). But I will at least unveil the woman behind the curtain, so to speak.

My real name is Melaina and my real email account is Melaina RN at gmail dot com. So please send any correspondence to that account if you would like to receive a timely response.

I have given a lot of thought to this blog recently and am considering picking it back up again. Of course, I am thinking of potential new directions to take it in. With the advent and increased popularity of video posts, I may explore that avenue. Though for the time being, revealing my real name seems public enough, I think. :-)

But I welcome your input as well. I have received so many wonderful and supportive comments on this blog, even during my own silences. Thank you so much for the feedback. I would like this to continue to be a space that enriches the lives of my readers as well as continues to stimulate me to explore new subjects and areas, especially pertaining to issues such as quality of life, palliative care, bioethics, hospice and the end-of-life. Please send any suggestions for topics or any questions that I have left unanswered. I'm hoping with a little attention, I can bring this blog back to life.

Thank you so much for reading!

Sincerely,
Melaina

14 comments:

Risa Denenberg said...

keep writing!

TMcG said...

I missed your blog posts. Please do keep writing!!!

Christian Sinclair said...

Sorry I am just coming late to the party. I have been behind on my RSS feeds. Glad to see you back and interesting story about your anonymity.

Palliative care blogging has come a long way and we have many writers these days. It will be great to see your posts again!

If you want to host Palliative Care Grand Rounds let me know.

Mongrel said...

What actually do the RN, PHN, MS etc mean?

Serendipity Books said...

My mum died last night of lung cancer with bone mets and possibly brain ones. She was in a nursing home and for the last few days couldn't eat or drink or move any muscle except once to smile and occasionally to raise her eyebrows. As she had had a chest infection she had a death rattle from the catarrah she couldn't cough up. I don't think she ever really withdrew from the world though. She did have a very glassy see-right-through-you stare but she had had that on and off for years, just not as long. She died with her eyes open (I wasn't there) and I came looking for an explanation of that and how it must have felt to her and found your blog.

I haven't found out about dying with eyes open yet, but your wonderful blog has explained a lot to me of what my mother went through. Thank you.

berlinvale said...

Great to read your posts again!! I though your Blog was dead...

Vale from www.berlin49.de

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am taking a technology course and your blog was the first one I found. I couldn't help but write. I am an oncology nurse with many years of helping people live and die. People don't understand how we can care for this type of work. It has been a great teacher to me. Lynn

E said...

Check out the new show “Mercy” about nurses at 8 pm on NBC! It’s fantastic and finally shows nurses in a realistic and positive light!

E said...

If you haven't seen the new nursing show Mercy, be sure to catch the first 4 episodes this Saturday, October 31st, from 8 pm-12 am on NBC! So great!

Anonymous said...

Well nice to see who's behind the curtain. i've been blogging for a long time too on and off. finally i've decided to make 3 different blogs that very much coexist but each have different emphasis: one for fun (my kntting, my life, nursing school); one for community and alaska which are important to me and another for nursing all by itself. I think thats really helped me and my readers/potential readers. anyway, i'm interested in the bioethics idea. i look forward to reading more of your blog

About Me said...

Hi,

I afresh came beyond your blog and accept been account along. I anticipation I would leave my aboriginal comment. Great post, abridged and accessible to understand. I like this post..

I begin out that this blog is actual absorbing and informative.

Best of luck to you!

Hospice California said...

This blog really very great article which helps us to know what is actually going on.keep up the good work going.Thanks

Hospice Ventura County said...

That’s really a good blog for the readers,also add some other extra info in future.Thanks

dein said...

thanks for sharing a lot of tips about health.. May God bless you..:-)

http://superbsite.info