Friday, September 02, 2005

Katrina

One of my partner S's best friends and his partner were living in New Orleans when Katrina hit. We had been very worried about them as the news reached us about the devastating effects of the hurricane, but we weren't able to reach them. Both their cell phone and their email service providers were operating out of New Orleans, so neither were working. Fortunately, we got a voice mail message from them, giving us word that they are both okay. They left town when they were given the warning and have been staying in Atlanta ever since.

Sometimes the news seems so unreal. Even the stories about this hurricane seemed almost unbelievable. But reality set in as S and I offered our friends a place to stay while they figure out what to do next. They are actually quite hopeful that the house they'd just bought about six months ago may still be standing. Apparently they live in a part of town that wasn't hit as hard. Based on the news footage I've seen, my hopes are not as high as theirs, though I will be ecstatic for them if they were one of the few who still have a home to return to.

It is an interesting coincidence to me that my life is so water-oriented right now, though in a much more positive way than killer floods. I went surfing today with a friend from work. Tomorrow, S and I will go sailing with a different friend. And then Sunday, S and I are going on a whale watching cruise.

Somehow this balance between the positive and negative sides to water seems fitting. It is so easy to label things as "bad" or "good," but life so rarely falls along neat polar opposites. And although water can clearly bring utter devastation to an entire nation, as has been demonstrated, it can also be a source of peace and serenity.

I am wishing and hoping and praying for some peace and serenity for all who have been affected by Katrina.

No comments: