Sunday, July 17, 2005

Your Truth: I'm Dying

If you've been reading this blog, you'll be familiar with this format. I'm going to present a scenario and I want you to tell me how you would act, what you would say if in this situation. And at the end, I will state what I have done in a similar circumstance.

Ms. Kelly is 41 years old and was diagnosed two days ago with highly metastasized lung cancer, which has gone to her brain, liver and bone. She is a nurse, so she is aware of her poor prognosis. She has two small children. She has agreed to try some curative treatments with the hopes of extending her life as long as possible.

When you first met her, Ms. Kelly told you, "I know that I'm dying." You listenned attentively as she told you about all the things she wants to do before she dies.

The next time you see Ms. Kelly, she is using her energy full-swing to fight her disease. When you approach her, she refuses to make eye contact with you.

What do you think is happening and how do you respond?

No comments: